Wednesday, January 6, 2016

WIP Wednesday: The One With Great Plans

Wow, hasn't it been a while? I hope your holiday season was full of good things, and if it wasn't, I hope you got to come home and think "well, at least that's over for another year!"

My Christmas was pretty awesome - food, fun, and family. And apart from the absolutely urgent stuff (frantic gift-making, getting Swarm ready for posting), it was marked by almost a complete lack of quilting!

However, I do have a few things to report!


Cushions for my mother

The frantic gift was my mother's cushions, which I promised to her many months ago.

The initial attempt didn't quite turn out the way I planned.

Parental gift. #ohboy

So it was back to the drawing board:

Dear Mum, how much do I love you? Let me count the stitches... #handmadechristmasgifts

And this time I liked it a lot better.

It wasn't that difficult sewing the curves - the problem was mostly the piping - I'm very bad at doing piping, it's never as tight as I'd like it to be. Do you have tips on how to get really tight piping?

But the end result was pretty spectacular - and matched the quilt and pillows I made her several years back!

All the matching quilty things! #handmadechristmasgifts

And the close-up:

This was my mother's Christmas present: two cushion covers to match the quilt and pillows I made her a few years back. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out! 😊



Blocks for the Sydney ModSQuad group quilt 2016

Done! Easier than expected.

My @sydmodsquad blocks! All done! Now to break open the wine and cheese...

There will probably be a sewing bee in January to put it all together in a top, and then it's time to quilt it!


The Tula Pink Charm-Along

I did a charm swap with a bunch of other Aussies, organised by Ms Midge.

112 different Tula Pink fabrics in 5" charms!

Tula Pink charm swap

Tula Pink charm swap package: arrived! 😍 @msmidge thanks for organising!  😘 (also: #cats) #advenchuresofsmokeyandmal

And the challenge? To make a quilt using them. Any additional fabrics are fine, so long as the charms are in the quilt.

The Charm-Along runs to the 25th January, and of course I waited until I was back at work to start piecing it.

Of course I wait until the week I'm back at work....

HSTs right now. Lots of HSTs...

There's definitely a plan for them, we'll see how it turns out...


The 2016 Plan

I have a UFO Challenge laid out - 12 quilts to complete in 2016

1. Plain Jane Passacaglia
2. Duct Tape, or the Force (have you seen the new Star Wars yet? I have! Multiple times!)
3. Selvage Strings
4. Batik Logcabin
5. Tula Pink Interwoven (Charm-along)
6. Scrappy Disappearing 9-patch
7. Dancing Stars

Not sure about the last 5 - I have plenty of tops and quilts to be quilted, and then I'll have to start making some hard decisions about who gets what, because we can't keep all the quilts that I'm making - there are just too many of them (and we have limited space).


Anyway, how is your New Year going? Have you linked up to any of the WIP master posts that are around?







3 comments:

  1. The cushions look fab and may I say I also LOVE those chairs - do you know where she got 'em? They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cushions really are perfect for her room.

    Good luck with your 2016 goals.

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!