Thursday, December 1, 2016

WIP Wednesday: the mermaids WIPed me out

What a month. I mean, seriously. WHAT. A. MONTH.

The world went to crap. My productivity dropped through the floor. I missed not one but two quilt show entries (one of them was Quiltcon 2017). And I may not have a job past Christmas.

So, 2016 has not been a good year, and November has been a particularly bad month for me.

HOWEVER.

I did finish one thing: my Mermaids Shiloh Satchel.

I used up the last of my golden mermaids from Heather Ross' original Mendocino line to make this. And you know when you have this panic about cutting into a rare fabric? And you're trying to take deep breaths, checking the pattern, hoping that you don't screw it up? Well, that was just about 90% of getting all this put together.

Another #shilohsatchel on the cutting table using old #mendocinofabric. Let's use this for #bpsewvember Day 4: fun! (Can be meant ironically in the EEK RARE FABRIC CUTTING PANIC way...) The Shiloh Satchel pattern is sold by @pileofabric and comes in Trave

Also. It didn't help that I was using leather. Or that I changed my mind on exactly which pieces I'd be using in leather along the way...

Bag in progress! Another #shilohsatchel on the way!

All the pieces pinned up...

#bpsewvember with @bimbleandpimble Day 14: Yellows/Oranges - a sewing room and #shilohsatchel parts.

And then the finished product doesn't look quite professional enough - the gusset was too long for the front and back, which required making tucks, which made the top of the bag puffy and...

Style Stalk: Day 20 of #bpsewvember - I don't know that I have a particular style, but right now I'm a bit grumpy that I have a puffy zipper top for the #shilohsatchel, because it looks too homestyle, not elegant enough... Might have to pull it apart and

Ugh. I just didn't like the look - I wanted something clean and sleek, so I had to pull the gusset apart and cut it down again.

And no, the finished result still isn't quite as perfect as I'd like, but by the time I'd got this far, I was done with fixing bits and pieces.

Definitely a one off! Day 27 of #bpsewvember with @bimbleandpimble

It's good enough! I'll take it!

Finished Mermaids #shilohsatchel this afternoon before family dinner! #Saturdaynightcraftalong with @barefootcrafter





No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!