Monday, July 28, 2014

Welcome to the Sea Breeze MQAL!

Welcome to my day on the Sea Breeze MQAL bloghop!

I watched Canoe Ridge Creations run the MQAL the first time with some interest and delight in the design. However, my primary thought on seeing the size of the quilts was "oh, way too small for me to bother".

I'm generally a big quilts person. In fact, when I was basting a picnic quilt at the Sydney Modern Quilt Group sew-in a couple of months back, one of the women who knows me well studied my work, looked at me and asked, "Isn't it a bit small, Sel?" (And it was small compared to the size my quilts usually end up!)

SeaBreezeMQAL

So, mini-quilts? Not my thing. And then Angie at GnomeAngel decides to run the Sea Breeze MQAL on instagram and intarwebs and puts out a call. And I, like the overenthusiastic, DO ALL THE PROJECTS, A-personality type that is me, sign up to be even busier than I already am!

Plus, HSTs! HSTs are my nemesis. Or possibly my Jekyll-and-Hyde. On one hand, they're so cute and versatile, capable of making so many patterns and sub-patterns, on the other, they require cutting into squares, drawing lines down the middle, sewing on each side of the line, cutting along the line, pressing the seams open, and trimming! That's five extra steps in block development! Who has time for that, I ask you?

SeaBreezeMQAL

Okay, so clearly I have time for that. Or I like the result. One or the other. Possibly both.

With a name like "Sea Breeze" and given the stash of Kona solids occupying my shelf-space, I kind of felt like I really should go the blue fabric route. Lots of blue, and a nice, stormy grey in Kona Slate. (I don't know the specific Konas I used, I'm afraid, I didn't check.)

My day to instagram the #seabreezemqal with @gnomeangel: the story so far. Warning! Layout on instagram may not necessarily resemble final quilt!

Then there was the question of design. I wasn't as daring as some of the other bloggers in the MQAL (deviate from the pattern? *clutches pearls* Oh, how could you?) but I did want to do something a little different from the norm. The standard layout looks lovely - like a still, deep pool. But this is the SeaBreeze MQAL, after all. So I figured I'd mix it up.

SeaBreezeMQAL

('scuse the toes!)

Now it's more 'choppy seas' than 'rainforest jumping pool'. And adds a bit of intrigue to the design: the eye focuses on the dark grey rather than the blues.

SeaBreezeMQAL

I backed it in the remaining scraps, and quilted it on my domestic machine which doesn't have a BSR.

SeaBreezeMQAL

The quilting is pretty bad up close, so I'm limiting pics of the actual quilting. Amy Butler's Lark turned out to be the perfect colour for the binding and adds a touch of forest to the overall effect. And I machine-bound it rather than hand-bound it because I was in a hurry to get it done and didn't feel like sewing the binding neatly on.

SeaBreezeMQAL

And here it is with my other weekend finishes - two snowflake cushions and two batik cushions.

SeaBreezeMQAL

I'm still looking at the result wondering what on earth I'll do with it. Right now, I'm tending towards gifting it to the infant son of a couple in my bible study group.

Have you gone around and looked at the various SeaBreeze MQAL quilts yet? There's a Facebook page, an Instagram tag (#seabreezemqal), and GnomeAngel's blog to check out!

7 comments:

  1. If you like HSTs but hate the work, check out this tutorial post:

    http://www.mqgvictoria.com/p/hst-charity-project.html

    It shows different ways to get many HSTs at once....

    And I like the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful - love all of the shades of blue you have used and your fab quilting !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this on IG but I had to stop by and tell you again, I love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this. I love the subtle but powerful mixing up of the solids. I love the dark triangles and I love your quilting. One of my faves! Thanks for playing along!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a wonderful little mini - love it in the moody blues and laughed out loud at your clutching pearls comment !! sounds like we're chalk and cheese - I love minis !! hopefully this little one might have swayed you a bit to the smaller side :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So serene in the colourways - very beautiful. Love the colour graduation

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must be very happy with this mini. It is so serene, like a still pond.

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!