Monday, October 7, 2019

First Monday Of The Month: October

Gee, I'm really terrible at this business of keeping up the blog. I missed August's first Monday so turned it into the last Monday, then I completely forgot about September!

Anyway, we're back. Hopefully to be a bit more productive these next three months; there are things which must be done!

1. Cousin Quilts - a change in direction

I was planning to gift a set of four penny patch quilts to a quartet of cousins. The cousins are all in their 30s, one is getting married at the end of this month. We're not hugely close - I think the affection is more on our side than on theirs.

However, this morning I thought about it and, looking at the design and fabric I've chosen - traditional in Traditional fabrics - I'm doubtful that that's going to be in their style.

#c4quilts

It's a great pattern, maybe a bit busy with this fabric, just probably not everyone's thing.

20191007_075918

Instead, I was thinking of something like The Flight Quilt (as rendered by Joanne's Design, although she indicates that she got the idea from a quilt that was labelled 'Simple' but didn't have any attribution to it). It can be done in a variety of colours and with either colours or a neutral as the background.


In Kona Solids, because I still have the better part of 200 FQs of Kona Solids and I'm pretty sure I can work out a way to use them like this.

I'd colour co-ordinate them according to the style of the cousin in question. M would be rich earth colours, P would be bright-saturateds, K would be stylish and elegant, and P would be pretty yet classic.

What am I going to do with the Penny Patches? Dunno. Thought I might give them to a friend's family, but...really not sure it's their style, either. I mean, they'd be happy with it anyway, but...hmf.

Oh well, more quilt tops at any rate.

--

Otherwise, for Halloween I was planning to make curtain fronts for the lounge room and maybe the study using Tula Pink's De La Luna (which takes inspiration from the Día de Muertos celebration of Mexico), using the Penny Patch pattern again.

The major things vying for my attention right now though are: the garden, the fiction writing. Oh, and the cats.

20191006_202409

But that's usual for cats.

--

I should probably make an icon and a banner or something, shouldn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!