Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WIP Wednesday: the one with lots of modern!


A busy week!

Finished!

This quilt top has been in the 'to be quilted' pile for at least a year. Possibly two. It was made in a quilt-along with Anne-Marie of GenXQuilters and I've always intended to quilt it myself.

I was just hoping to make it a little more detailed than it ended up...

quilt show

quilt show

But it's done! I have the binding; I just have to sew it on. "Just."

Better pictures with front and back once I have the chance to take decent photos. (Which requires me, a camera, and one other person in the room all at the same time. This is not actually an easy thing.)

WIPs

I've been trying to get enough of these two projects together to enter for the Sydney Quilt Show, and most of what I've managed is concept and layout. Hopefully that will be sufficient for them?

They're both modern, but because one can only enter one quilt per category, I'm going with the 'Art Quilt' and 'Modern Quilt' categories.

Do You Know Where You're Going To?

This is my choice for the 'Art Quilt' category - HSTs with Reese Scannell shot cottons and Kona Stone background: the arrows will weave their way around the quilt, leaving big empty spaces suitable for quilting.

quilt show

I'm going to have to seriously improve my quilting before doing this one! Look at all that lovely empty space!

But before then: mathematics will be necessary to line everything up properly! That's going to be a pain. I can feel it.

There were alternative layouts, but I didn't like them as much:

quilt show

quilt show

Mondrian's Nine-Patch

This one started off as this collection of fabric choices:

quilt show

And has slowly been coming together.


quilt show

quilt show

I'm planning to enter this one in the 'modern' category as an example of a traditional block (the split nine-patch) with a modern twist (a fabric that serves as the 'background').

quilt show concept design

Another concept idea:

quilt show

I think this layout was a little too random for me.

Not sure if the blocks bordering the quilt are going to get used in the end. I sewed them up because I wanted 'bits and pieces' blocks as an example, but I think they might be almost too sketchy to be suitable for the quilt. I'll see how they look when I've got enough blocks to make a decent sized quilt.

But at least this one doesn't require any special mathematics!

The seed idea came from Sewlio Designs - her Mod D9P, the tutorial for which is here at St Louis Folk Victorian.

To Do

1. quilt more quilts (or get more quilts quilted) - I have a ridiculous backlog of quilt tops, many of which still need backing. And I need the practise!


Sydney Modern Quilt Guild

Sew-in this Saturday at Greta's Handicrafts Lindfield, from 10am til 2pm! Going to start on my Millfiori quilts. :)

What have you been doing this week?

16 comments:

  1. visiting you from WIP wednesday. Love the flying geese look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure if I should do flying geese or another HST pattern, but I think the flying geese won me over.

      Delete
  2. good way to balance your quilts: one with maths , one without!! I love the walking geese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually do quilting-with-maths, although i'm familiar with quilting with 'working out how I'm going to put this together' ...

      Thanks! I'm liking the look of them.

      Delete
  3. cool projects. I like those colorful geese as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've wanted to make a 'solids background' quilt for a while; I just never had a particular reason to do so. Nice to have one, at last.

      Delete
  4. VERY cool!! Your WIPs are all eye candy! And is that your own long arm? if so, jealous! lol! Your finish is gorgeous. Everything is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not my own longarm - I wish! I go to a LQS which hires out their machine, although I'm thinking I might try another LQS which has a slightly different longarm and might be more amenable to more delicate work than this one seems to be able to manage.

      Delete
  5. I love your colors choices through your whole post!! Can't wait to see how you quilt those HST quilts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of quilting all that empty space is giving me uneasy nights! I have a feeling my ambitions outstrip my skill on the quilting front.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Love your wandering flying geese and that finished quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love the stark, sharp colours in the Odyssea quilt. And in the flying geese quilt, too.

      Delete
  7. Oh I love the meandering geese layout! And those improve blocks are lots of fun to look at. Where did you quilt your quilt at? It looks like a quilt shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilting machine is at an LQS in Sydney - Hobbysew. But the machine is a little heavy on the rollers and wasn't responding quite as finely as I'd like. I might look at another LQS that offers a quilting machine for hire to quilt these.

      Decisions, decisions!

      Delete
  8. I think you picked the best layout for those colorful flying geese! It's like they are migrating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the layout you chose for you HSTs! It's very eye catching!

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!