Wednesday, April 10, 2024

WIP Wednesday: the one with Regency

GENERAL THINGS

I have decided to sew one seam a day. At least. If I do more, then great. But otherwise, one seam a day. One thing a day, whether that's hemming handkerchiefs or stitching binding together.

Hemmed hankies, made from spare squares of fabric around the place

April

Also: an overflowing scrap box. Need to cut those up and stuff them into the pouffle.

DRESSMAKING

I have applied to go to a Bridgerton garden party in Bowral (which is right in the middle of the holidays, I think) and I don't have any Regency clothes at all.

I would really like to make:

1. a Regency corset
2. a day dress
3. an evening dress
4. a spencer/jacket

I mean, this is wishful thinking: I have a little over ONE WEEK in which to do any of it. I have no patterns, I have made no muslins, I have no time.

Frankly, even just getting the evening dress done would probably be nearly impossible.

But I do have fabric. Lots of it. A lovely two-tone cotton weave (not quite the colour for a day dress, but possibly a riding habit). A gorgeous emerald green-black dupion silk (I found it at a Pitt Fabric store one year during the Sydney Craft And Quilt Show and bought the bolt). And a green lace so dark it's almost black.

April

The light doesn't show the colour very well. But they look really good in sunlight!

There's the blue-black chiffon (probably poly) and the mustard-and-violet chiffon (actual silk!) and a maroon crepe de chine (actualy, that could work for a day dress, although, again, not quite the right colour), and assorted cotton voiles and lawns that would probably work quite well (although they're prints, not solids, obviously).

One of the things I find absolutely mind-boggling today is how casually I have more fabric than a modiste of the Regency could have ever afforded. It's less susceptible to mould and decay and wearing and fray, and with some care, it might last for another fifty years.

Anyway.

BINDING:

Done: Cut strips for red bindings.

To do: cut morestrips for red bindings.

PIECING: 

I went to the Saturday morning sewing group meeting for the first time in a couple of months. There were a decent number of people there, and it was a lovely sunny day after having had an exceedingly wet and rainy Friday ("rain bomb"). I dragged along all the components of my Restless Hands Of Sel quilt and did some more work on it. 

April

I sorted out which stars were next on the list, and sewed some of the columns together, which was quite satisfying.

One problem I'm having, though: I can't find where I put the fabric pieces I was using. When I went on holidays last year, I took with me one of the bags that I'd been using to house them and...stuffed the rest into a ziplock bag. Which I then mailed home with a bunch of heavy winter clothing I wasn't going to need while in Hawaii--

Okay, so now I have an idea of what happened to them, but I still can't remember where they are... Wait. Found them!

LOL. Thank you so much for helping me jog my memory as to where everything is.

THOUGHTS I HAD

What if I got you guys reading this to vote on what I should do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!