Friday, April 8, 2011

WIP weekly

I admit, I feel like a complete slacker when it comes to comparing my quilting efforts with the quilters whose blogs I follow. My quilts make infinitismally small progress from week to week, while y'all seem to whip up a complete quilt in a matter of hours. I really don't know how you do it!



Anyway, it's WIP Wednesday Thursday Friday and I have made a leetle progress this week!

Got my half-yard of each fabric in the Berry colour-range of the Sanctuary collection for my Sanctuary Kaleidoscope:



Sliced and diced them over the weekend and during the week, and started laying them out:


Click on pic for bigger version


I'm thinking that I either need more browns or more whites. The problem is that there's essentially no 'middle ground' when it comes to the browns: it's either completely brown or mostly brown, but no half-and-half the way there is with the pinks, or even the orange or yellow fabrics, which makes them stand out very starkly in the midst of the pattern. *scratches head*

It's presently 8 blocks long by 9 blocks wide, and I'm wondering if it should be 9 blocks by 9 blocks...except that would mean needing another cutting spree to get the requisite number of blocks. Cue Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader: "NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Maybe I could just make a border for it? *looks hopeful*

--

In the meantime, WIP #2 is the Supernova Quilt-Along from over at Freshly Pieced. Which got to four sets of subunit blocks and stalled.



4 down, 12 to go. 6 down, 10 to go... If I were doing the 9-block, I'd be mostly done! Damn my large-size quilting ambitions!

I did spend a great deal of Sunday watching Fringe (great TV show) and drawing diagonals on my white squares, though, so that's one less thing to do for that. Now I just have to get a move on with the other blocks...

But they do look very nice when laid out!


Click on pic for bigger version


--

Still to finish the binding:
* Suds and Vern's quilt - bali popboxes.

Still to bind:
* Chris and Kate's quilt - Double Irish Chain.
* Shaz and A's quilt - Sunshine And Lollipops in North Wind.
* my own quilt - stack-and-whack "cathedral windows"


In the works:
* an engagement gift for my stepbro and his fiancee: a set of prettified sheets

Just received from the Fat Quarter Shop:
* Old Denim Kona Cotton Solids FQ pack! (blues)
* Hot Spice Kona Cotton Solids FQ pack! (reds/oranges)
* 3 yards White Kona Cotton Solids
* Lumiere de Noel FQ pack!

I can really understand why people go gaga over the Kona Solids series. This is some very nice fabric!

Unfortunately, still waiting on the People Eater Kona Cotton Solids FQ pack (purple). Will contact them if it hasn't arrived on Monday next week.

--

I also have a 'new' camera, bought from my stepfather who's purchased himself a new model. I love new tech, but I'm not one to go out and buy it the instant it comes out - I'm what they call a "late adopter". My stepdad's an "early adopter" - he usually has it in his hands the month it comes out. Boys and their toys, I suppose! At any rate, the new camera is smaller, with a bigger display screen, and I have to learn how to use it, so the pics may not be as clear as usual - at least, not until I work out exposure times and how to take photos without the flash and whether I need to hold it steady or what.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!