Friday, January 6, 2012

Scrap Attack QAL!

Scrap Attack Quilt-Along


I've decided to join in with the Scrap Attack QAL over at Stitched In Color - my first QAL of the year!

I've been thinking of getting rid of a bunch of my scraps for a while now - I have a great many selvedge strings, thanks to my own 12-quilts-in-2011 project, and have been threatening to make a string quilt for nearly six months now.

selvedges: so many!

This might be my opportunity to get a move on it!

I'm a little uncertain about exactly what kind of fabric one uses as the backing block for a string quilt. I have some craft cottons which are good solid materials, just not quilting quality. And there's some craft calico in my stash - leftover from when I was making the Steampunk Victoriana dress. Again, it's good solid material, just not quilting quality.

Does it matter terribly much not to use 'quilting quality cotton'? There's a part of me that rebels at using 'good' fabric where it's not going to be seen!

Technically, my Drunkard's Path should fit the bill for a Scrap Attack quilt, too - the dark fabric is from stash, but the coloured fabrics are scraps of everything else. Only, I have no idea how long it will take to complete the Drunkard's Path quilt, seeing as I'm piecing the blocks by hand. I hope to have a wad of blocks when I get back from China and HK, but who knows?

drunkard's path scrappy

Then (on yet another hand) there's also the ideas in 'Crazy For Scraps' by Sally Schneider - I'm really liking the askew quilt (halfway down the page) - I love that block, although I'm not sure I have large enough scraps for it. So many of my scraps are smaller bits and pieces (like the selvedges).

So many scraps and ideas! So little time!

The Scrap Attack Flickr Group

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!