Wednesday, February 1, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Ta-da! Hey-Ho! And Uh-Oh!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Ta-Da!

(Does anyone else remember the little voice on the Apple Macintoshes back in the 80s/early 90s when you finished that little 'puzzle' in the Apple menu? "Ta-Da!" Or is it just me?)

Half-Square Triangle Hell Harvest

After sitting around for far too long, it's arranged and sewn together! Huzzah!

HST Harvest

Not my colours or my patterns (what was I thinking when I bought the fabric?) but very traditional looking. I hope someone out there wants a traditional quilt, because I'm going to try to sell it!

Now to work out:
1. What to back it with,
2. How to baste it without wrinkles,
3. How to quilt it.

Oy. The backing is going to be tricksy. Things were so much easier back when I used to use cotton sheets for quilt backs...

Hey-Ho!

California Girl

So, the new California Girl range is out at the Fat Quarter shop!



I actually managed to purchase some preview precuts from Green Fairy Quilts back at the start of December - two charm packs and a jelly roll - but wasn't motivated to get up and make a quilt from them until this last week.

It's a really pretty fabric collection - lighthearted and fun!
California Girl - jelly roll

I'm just doing a very simple block - a charm square surrounded by a jelly roll frame:
Cali Girl Diamond Day blocks

En pointe:
Cali Girl Diamonds - en pointe

It's pretty and lighthearted and girly. Not my colours - I much prefer vibrant, saturated colours - but still a lovely fabric set.

Now I have to work out the setting triangles. I have 1 pack of charm squares and 13" lengths of the Jelly roll strips left - and 13" is almost-but-not-quite enough to make setting triangles. Complicated tricksiness may be required...


Scrap Attack Quilt-Along


So, I'm making a scrap quilt based on 'Askew' from 'Crazy For Scraps by Sally Schneider:
Askew
(I took a picture of the page.)

I've had this book for well over a year now, with the intent of making something from it, but never had the will to do so until the Stitched In Color challenge came along.

Since then, I've been riffling through my scrap boxes, hunting up spare bits of fabric, and cutting strips and squares until there's a whole chair full of 'scrap bits'. (Those are the scraps of the scraps I've cut for this...not sure what I'm going to do with those...)

So, after a week of cutting and a day of mad sewing we have: the story so far...
Scrap Attack: the story so far

I'm a bit worried about the size of the blocks - I can't seem to quite get them to the proper 4.5" size. The curse of Inexact Seams strikes again!

Uh-Oh!
Drunkard's Path: I didn't do any handsewing while in China. Not a jot. *sigh*
uberquiltfest: Uberquiltfest? What uberquiltfest? *looks guilty*
Charmed Prints: I'll get back on this before the next WIP Wednesday!

And here endeth the WIP Wednesday! Head out and gander at the others in the WIP Wednesday linky party!

Sel

5 comments:

  1. I know that block from"askew" very well! I used it to make a quilt for my mom and mother-in-law. I also love it as a scrap quilt! Your quilt en point is looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. En pointe is looking lovely and I love the design of the brown quilt although not so much the colour. I think askew is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your California girl quilt so far, sometimes, simple just works best, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt will sell; it is very traditional in those colours...I like it. The your fabric purchase is delightful

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool design to use scraps - I'm sure that's going to look great. You have a lot of fun projects going. :)

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!