Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Bloggers Quilt Festival: the Interweave Mini

I made Interwoven for the #igrainbowmini swap, off a pattern from a Susan Schneider book. The HSTs were made out of the off-cuts of the Kona charm swap organised by Pile O'Fabric back in 2013, and only measured 1.75" square...before I trimmed them down to 1.5".

And this is why I'm not a fan of HSTs. Even when they look really really spectacular, there's a bajillion trimmings.

Sunday late march

And then I had to arrange the teeny-tiny HSTs into the pattern, which is really just a 4x4 block in a specific layout, which then gets rotated through 90 degrees to form the pattern.

Sunday late march

It's pretty clever, right?

Sunday late march

Of course, then I have to go and add borders.

I hate quilting on my domestic machine.

Straight line quilting, following the pattern was all I could manage. Alas, I took the HandiQuilter Blessington Academy course the weekend after I quilted this, otherwise it would have been freemotion quilting and much more impressive.

Still I suppose the design holds up pretty well!

Title: Interweave (Mini)
Size: ~18" square
Now that @megnevett has received her gift, I can put this photo up! #rainbowminiswap #rainbowteamblue

Submitted in the ROYGBIV category of the Bloggers Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side.

8 comments:

  1. Really pretty. I like the colors and the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really cool design and I've been intending to make a bigger version of it for FOREVER. Still haven't gotten around to it, though.

      Delete
  2. So pretty and subtle - for a rainbow that is. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Damn the rainbows with faint praise. ;)

      Delete
  3. This is such a cool design! When I first clicked I didn't realize how small it was. That was so precise piecing!

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!